Dental Care For Your Baby in McKinney, TX
The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry (AAPD) recommends the first dental visit no later than the
child’s first birthday, or when the first tooth appears.
Normal baby (primary) teeth eruption timing:
- See your dentist every 6 months for routine check-ups and cleanings.
- Starting at birth, clean your child’s gums with a soft infant toothbrush or cloth and water.
- As soon as the teeth begin to appear, start brushing twice daily using infant toothpaste and a soft, age-
appropriate sized toothbrush.
- You may switch to fluoride toothpaste once your child can spit it out rather than swallow it. If you
choose to use fluoride toothpaste, use a very small amount (size of a grain of rice). Fluoride ingested in
high doses can be dangerous.
- Flossing is necessary as soon as the teeth are in contact with one another, as early as age 2. Many
parents prefer using pre-strung flossers which are flavored and coated with fluoride.
You can contact our McKinney, TX office here
or call us at 972-547-4443 to schedule an appointment.